ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison’s (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE’s 5 million customer accounts.
The Nursery Superintendent will oversee operations at SCEs Auberry Nursery. Operations include seed collection, propagation, and growth of native California conifers and plant species. In addition, the position includes assisting with reforestation of understocked areas, management of existing plantations, and direction of contractors for site preparation and planting on SCEs 20,000 acre mixed conifer forest in Shaver Lake. The selected candidate will have working knowledge of botany, nursery operations, infrastructure, permitting, equipment, seed processing, soils, and irrigation systems. Additional experience in noxious weeds, site preparation, commercial and pre-commercial thinning, and plantation management are desired.
- Planning, operation, maintenance and production of the Auberry Nursery.
- Seed collection, stratification, sowing and storage. Irrigation and nutrient balance. Weed, disease, and pest management. Propagation for desired yields. Plant packaging and storage.
- Maintain nursery related equipment including irrigation systems, fertilization systems, containers, racks, greenhouses, soil mixer, seed cleaning and aspirators, tractors and mowers.
- Maintains records, stock and equipment inventories
- Interface with agencies such as Cal Fire, USFS, CDF&W and Fresno County Agricultural Commission.
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in botany, horticulture, forestry, environmental science or related field
- Must have five years’ experience within nursery operations or relevant field
- Qualified applicators license or qualified applicators certificate within 1 year of employment
- Five years’ experience overseeing nursery operations
- Working knowledge of botany, seed collection and propagation
- Working knowledge of Sierra Nevada native plant communities
- Working knowledge of Sierra reforestation and habitat improvement practices
- Working knowledge of forest pathology and noxious weed management
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- We offer a fantastic Total Rewards Package that includes things like a wide selection of health plans, preventative health reimbursement, 401(k) savings plan with company match and automatic company contributions, tuition reimbursement, professional development, volunteer programs, employee assistance program, electric service discount, and many more perks.
The people at SCE, don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We are fueling the kind of innovation that is changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. The safety of our employees, customers, and everyone else also comes first. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow your career and make a difference in the world.