Nursery Department Supervisor
Tagawa Gardens is celebrating our 37th year anniversary! We believe that the greatest asset we have within our company is our people. Teamwork, industry expertise, and strategic initiatives are some of the key components helping us achieve our company goal of an exemplary guest experience. We have a unique opportunity for a Nursery Department Supervisor for our Garden Center. We want our ideal Supervisor to lead, manage and participate in all operations/transactions as required at the store to ensure that the garden center is meeting or exceeding customer and performance expectations. This position is a full time year-round, hourly, non-exempt position.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all aspects of operations within the Nursery including vendor interface for the ordering/inventory of all trees, shrubs and various woody plants throughout the Nursery.
- Extensive knowledge of trees and shrubs that grow throughout the front range of Colorado.
- Maintain and oversee plant health care, water management, sales, customer service, training and safety.
- Collaborate with product vendors for maintaining orders and deliveries as required.
- Manage and plan for future growth while driving innovation in all new varieties of trees and shrubs throughout the Colorado front-range.
- Perform budget analysis of the Nursery’s financial position and provide management the information regarding the overall performance of the Nursery.
- Able to diagnose and are familiar with common diseases and insects with woody plants throughout the Colorado front range.
- Coach and train full time, part time and seasonal staff throughout the year.
- Create a positive, exciting and learning environment which is conducive to high performance.
- Place stocking orders, re-orders and special orders with specific vendors as well as prepare and dispatch purchase order numbers.
- Confer with vendor contacts to obtain favorable and timely deliveries as well as the best possible shipping prices.
- Respond to various departments within the organization who may need information regarding vendors, inventory, products, deliveries, etc.
- Maintaining continual cleanliness throughout the Nursery.
- Collaborate with other department Supervisors in maintaining operational processes, procedures and plans that support the goals and objectives within the company.
- Understands the physical demands: able to lift, bend, stoop, and reach repetitively for long periods of time. Frequently pushing and pulling large products using carts and dollies.
- Willing to work in all climates and weather conditions throughout the year.
- Willingness to travel out of state 2-3 times per year for trade shows, conferences, vender visits, etc.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Strong planning, organization and time management skills.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Understands principles of budgeting and managing product inventory.
- Working knowledge of rules and regulations set forth by the CO Department of Agriculture and CO Nursery Act
- Must be fluent in English; Spanish is helpful
- Ability to problem solve and conduct root cause analysis
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License & clean driving history
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree or certificate in horticulture, agriculture, forestry or arboriculture is an asset; but the equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable.
- 3+ years of experience managing in a Retail or Wholesale Nursery
- Experience leading and supervising a staff of 10+ employees.
- Proficient in Excel and Word