Reports to: Store Manager
To serve as the leader of the Nursery Department and to cultivate our four promises at terrain: to welcome, to inspire, to inform and to appreciate our customer.
The Nursery Manager will meet or exceed all financial, operational and visual goals by being proactive and reactive to the daily business, cultivating a high caliber sales staff through training and development, and maintain the highest standard for customer service and quality plant product. S/he will collaborate closely with the plant buyer to identify and analyze customer response to assortment. S/he will partner with store merchandisers and uphold terrain’s visual aesthetic through product placement and compelling displays. The Nursery Manager will be actively involved contributing on a broader level through store-wide leadership and ongoing policy and procedure development and refinement. The Nursery Manger will play a lead role in all terrain events by generating ideas and helping support execution of workshops, educational classes, and large-scale events as they relate to the plant product.
- Build strong relationship and communicate with Plant Buyer to identify and react to departmental opportunities and successes, customer needs, and product assortment.
- Train and develop all nursery staff members regarding all aspects of the nursery.
- Actively recruit and hire quality horticulturalists for the nursery department.
- Conduct weekly 1×1’s with Assistant Manager.
- Conduct quarterly departmental staff meetings.
- Communicate all incoming product, promotions, and sales to staff.
- Be a leader and be perceived as a leader to all staff. Give appropriate feedback to staff and peers and make decisions in the moment to address positive and negative performance.
- Create and manage thoughtful daily zones with other department managers for the entire site.
- Partner with other managers to help cross train and develop staff in other departments.
- Manage other departmental tasks and objectives while serving as Head Gardener and opening and closing manager.
- Conduct annual reviews and mid-year development plans for all staff within department.
- Create and execute weekly objectives that will contribute to the overall weekly success of your department.
- Plan daily, weekly, and monthly to ensure departmental objectives are being met. This should be including topics such as training initiatives, seasonal floor moves, events, and ongoing sales and promotions.
- Ensure timely execution of all departmental systems: Markdowns, Cycle Counts, and Transfers.
- Uphold the highest standard for quality nursery product. Ensure proper watering, pest control, fertilization, and pruning occurs as needed.
- Manage nursery MOS process- ensure all staff are trained on process and uphold the highest standard for sku integrity.
- Prepare the department and participate in annual inventory.
- Ensure all plant product is always cared for: Use the opening and closing checklist as a tool to set and uphold department standards.
- Ensure system for daily restock is created and being upheld to company standard.
- Participate in weekly, monthly and quarterly planning with management team.
- Manage payroll on a daily basis. All managers are responsible for meeting monthly payroll goals.
- Oversee stocking, maintenance and sales of all garden supply products. This includes sprays, fertilizers, mulches, soils, etc.
- Ensure incoming nursery product is stocked in a timely manner. Once product has been received it should be stocked on the floor within 4 hours.
- Ensure floor moves are staffed appropriately, executed in a timely manner, and areas are kept clean and organized.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Nursery Department sales through educated use company tools (TY/LY, velocities, and sales plan) and make sounds business decisions to drive the nursery business.
- Partner and collaborate with store merchandiser to place product and create compelling plant displays that will drive nursery sales.
- React to product sell down. Make appropriate decisions to shift product and re-merchandise areas on an as needed basis.
- Maintain awareness of home and garden trends.
Sound like a good fit?
If you are ready to lead and inspire a team of positive, dynamic individuals, please apply. We look forward to reviewing your unique qualifications. You can learn more about Terrain and all URBN brands at http://www.urbn.com/
As an URBN employee, your health and well-being are among our highest priorities. We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full time employees that includes medical, vision and dental coverage. All employees receive a fabulous merchandise discount, an employer-matched 401(k) plan, qualified transportation credit, a generous employee referral program and much more.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.