Van Houten Farms is working to become one of the premier garden centers in the northeast, and we are looking for the right managerial candidate to help lead us. After over 70 years in business, we are charging into a new era of growth and innovation. Our core values establish the foundation of how we do business: premium quality plants and produce; expert customer service that is always friendly and energetic, and a shopping environment that welcomes and inspires. Add to this our love for live music and local food and drink, and we are recreating the image of what a leading garden center should look like. We’d prefer a candidate with at least 10 years of garden center management experience, but we’d be happy to work with anyone who possesses a winning mix of credentials, values, and inspiration.
All the usual responsibilities come with this position. These include but are not limited to:
· Embracing our core values and vision for the future and making decisions to keep us moving in the right direction.
· Effectively leading our current team and helping to bring in new team members. This includes training, delegating and following up on assigned tasks, and ensuring the rest of the team is productively instilling our vision.
· Arriving to work at the appropriate time and ready to perform at the highest level.
· Overseeing the management of live and hard goods inventory. This includes purchasing, plant maintenance, and sales management.
· Overseeing the maintenance and continued evolution of our grounds and property.
· Setting the standard for work ethic, attitude, and team work.
We are also looking for the candidate to bring the right combination of corporate structure to keep our business efficient, professional, and in line with our goals; and the personality of a family-owned local business to continue nurturing our relationship with the community.