Plant Delights Nursery/Juniper Level Botanic Garden, is a perennial plant nursery established in Raleigh in 1988, offering unique, rare, well grown and properly named perennials to passionate gardeners around the world. We have one of the most extensive perennial trialing programs in the country. Our concern goes far beyond selling plants! Despite being best known as a nursery, we actually exist for our work as a private 28-acre botanic garden and plant research facility focusing on ex-situ plant conservation, plant exploration, breeding, and propagation. We have an open position for a Botanic Curatorial Assistant as part of a high energy, fast paced team in the Garden division. We are a family owned company with a mission to support research, education and the exploration of plants through the sales of unique perennial plants.
We offer a casual dress code, a diverse staff, and a friendly working environment.
Botanic Curatorial Assistant will support the Garden Curator and Garden Supervisor in maintaining Juniper Level Botanic Gardens collections’ integrity and in facilitating the sharing of germplasm. This is accomplished by timely, accurate, and thorough collection and processing of seed produced at JLBG, as well as working with seasonal garden staff to maintain and update garden areas.
- Collect JLBG seed for propagation and dissemination
- Remove seed heads of plants on “Discard” list to prevent unwanted dispersal
- Collect and enter seed data into the Access Database
- Organize and coordinate seed cleaning with volunteers and staff, assisting as needed
- Maintain seed storage fridge and its inventory in the Access Database
- Gather, process, store, and ship pollen, as needed
- Stock supplies for Seed Room
- Assist Garden Curator with curation tasks, including Labeling, planting, nursery digs, and plant identification
Garden Maintenance Support
- Perform horticultural maintenance in the display gardens, including weeding, raking, watering, fertilizing and mulching.
Other duties as assigned
Qualified candidates must be physically durable, able to lift 50lbs, have a tolerance for a wide range of outdoor weather (including summer heat), have a good work ethic, a friendly personality, and be able to work well with others. Qualified candidates must also be able to pay attention to detail while working at a fast pace, exhibit critical thinking skills, and can think through complex processes. Those with a passion for plants are encouraged to apply. Candidates with a Bachelors in a Plant-related field preferred.
Some formal education or past experience in horticulture is preferred and applicants with the following qualifications will be strongly considered:
- Plant Science or Horticulture Degree
- Horticulture experience