Filoli is looking for a talented candidate to join our team of committed professionals dedicated to achieving high horticultural standards, along with a dedication to historic preservation. The Horticulturist works under the direct supervision of the Area Lead Horticulturist. This position is responsible for providing care and protection of Filoli’s gardens and grounds including: historic plant collection, lattice, brick paths, walls, gates, structures, flooring, decorative objects, tools and equipment, etc.
This is a fulltime position that work 7:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday, as well as some evenings and weekends to support Filoli events. This positon is eligible for employee benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, Flex plan, 401(k), Vacation, sick leave and holiday pay. Starting pay is $21.09 per hour ($43,875 annualized). Please note that there is no public transportation to this site, so reliable transportation is required.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include:
- Preservation and care of the gardens:
- Clean-up: pool, drains, leaves and debris, deadhead and groom pot and beds, etc.
- Planting and soil preparation; use of equipment to prepare and amend soil, dig holes, plant bulbs, trees, annuals, plant in formal rows, follow a plant plan, etc.
- Watering; adhere to schedules and adjust according to CIMIS, check soil moisture, look for leaks, hand water, install and inspect new irrigation systems, etc.
- Pest Control: use of sprayers with proper application and recording of pesticides, weed beds, cultivate flower beds, maintain QAC, proper cleanup, storage and disposal methods, bird netting, etc.
- Fertilizing: use of broadcast and rotary spreaders, record applications, etc.
- Pruning: train young trees, hedges, topiary, and vines, removal of poison oak, clean and sharpen shears, etc.
- Hedging: groom boarders, low hedges and potted plants, shape topiary, shear formal hedges and yew trees, etc.
- Carpentry and Maintenance: install headers and make repairs, make supports or cut flower cages, monitor and keep drains clean, etc.
- Assist with special events: parking, set-up and remove signage, set-up tables and chairs, put up holiday trees and garlands, assist with emergencies, etc.
- Comply with the Filoli Injury Illness Prevention Plan and Filoli Pesticide Use Policies,
- Provide assistance and training to interns and volunteers.
- Lead group projects and teach intern classes.
- Regular and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability.
Education and/or Experience:
- Degree in Horticulture (preferred), or directly related field of study and directly related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A Certified California Pesticide Applicators Certificate is required within 6 months of employment and must be maintained
- Possess a valid US Driver’s License and maintain a good driving record
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to safely use; rotary mowers, reel mowers (both walk behind and ride-on), aerators, dethatchers, blowers, weed eaters, power edgers, rototillers, electric hedgers, chain saws, pole saws, scaffolding, ladders, sprayers, chippers, dump trucks, electric carts, pneumatic pruning equipment, generators, etc.
- Ability to effectively clean and store equipment
- Ability to safely adjust mower heights, rototiller and chain saws for appropriate usage,
- Ability to properly use protective gear,
- Ability to label and record gas usage, fertilizer and pesticide use, planting information, propagation data entry, temperatures, irrigation schedules, are schedules, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with volunteers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate consistent and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability
- Ability to take direction, multi-task and work effectively in a team environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current driver’s license for use of company owned vehicles and automobile insurance for personally owned car used in the course of business. California Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands, shoulders, and arms; talk and hear,
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision and ability to focus vision,
- Read documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals,
- Perform repetitive motions up to 50% of time using tools, equipment and a keyboard & mouse,
- Lift/carry up to 50 pounds,
- Stand, walk, reach, lift, carry, crouch, push, and bend, and extensive use of orchard and extension ladders up to 16' and scaffolding up to 25',
- Move about to different buildings and gardens located on the grounds,
- Able to drive vehicles and large garden equipment,
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but there are occasions (2-3x a day) when the noise level requires the use of protective gear to shield ears. Due to the use of garden equipment and possible airborne debris, the use of protective eye gear is required when appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY
Please note: Only candidates who provide all the information below will be considered.
- The email subject line must say: Horticulturist I
- Resume and cover letter outlining work experience, formal education, and special qualifications/skills. Resume and cover letter must be attached using MSWord format or PDF – do not include resume in the body of the email
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials can be emailed (preferred) to email@example.com – Or mailed to:
86 Canada Rd.
- , CA 94062
Attn.: Human Resources/Careers
Please, no phone calls