To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An associates or bachelors degree in ornamental horticulture and/or work experience at a commercial plant nursery preferred.
- 2 yrs experience at an ornamental plant nursery growing perennials and/or annuals preferred.
- Extensive knowledge perennial and annual varieties.
- Speak, read and write English.
- Bilingual Spanish helpful.
- Communication skills. Written, Verbal, Listening
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Organized and able to multi-task effectively.
- Diligent. Completes tasks and looks for more.
- Attention to detail
- Decision making ability.
- Progressive improvement of personal and professional knowledge and skills
- Alignment with JNC core values
- Passion for service and quality
- Team Player
- Humbly confident
- Enjoy your work
- Willing to work extra hours if needed; weekends and after hours to ensure productivity of other nursery functions
- Must wear ankle high work boots.
- Successfully pass drug screening, DMV check and post offer physical assessment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Weekly updating of plant availability. Grading plants according to size, quality and readiness for sale.
- Promote and monitor growth of perennial and annual plants.
- Plan for and manage people who maintain plants by pruning, spacing and weeding.
- Assist with all plant maintenance jobs such as pruning, spacing, weeding, and fertilizer and herbicide applications.
- Monitor water needs of plants and use irrigation systems to apply water to maintain optimum growth of plants.
- Monitor fertility needs of crops and coordinate timely fertilizer applications.
- Perform IPM scouts for plant pests and communicate pest control needs with the spray department.
- Monitor weeds and implement the control of weeds by manual weeding and/ or application of herbicides.
- Communicate repair and maintenance needs to maintenance department.
- Work 1 weekend / month.
- Work 1 or 2 late nights to help with shipping.
- Obtain a pesticide applicators license.
- Communicate with company management.
- Follow and help implement initiatives for ensuring a safe work environment and willingness to serve on the safety committee.
- Manage the cleanliness and organization of your section.
- Assist with cold protection of plants and nightly heater checks.
- Counsel and write up disciplinary warnings for staff as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to grasp, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear; creep and/or crawl up to 4 feet. The employee is frequently required to walk; and stoop or kneel. The employee is also required to sit, climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and or move objects up to 90lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position involves outdoor exposure during the workday. This role routinely uses equipment such as power tools, hand tools, tractors, forklifts, and skid steers. This position must also routinely work with chemicals used in plant growth and maintenance.
Some travel may be required for local parts pick up, attendance of conferences and continued education.