About the Role
The Gardener 2 position reports to The Head Gardener of Asian Gardens to ensure that assigned areas of the Chinese, Japanese, and/or North Vista Gardens are maintained and cared for to the highest standards of quality and display. The candidate will showcase a strong interest in both Japanese and Chinese style gardening, and a background working with plants in a professional garden setting.
The candidate will be able to successfully collaborate with other garden staff and demonstrate a background of working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, geographic and socioeconomic backgrounds, using a welcoming, inclusive, and accessible approach.
- Daily garden maintenance in assigned areas (weeding, watering, pruning, planting, mulching, fertilizing, and propagation)
- Work collaboratively with other garden crew on group projects as needed
- Supervise and instruct volunteers
- Must adhere to written safety policy, following all precautions and directions in use of equipment and chemicals
- Perform tasks in other areas of the Huntington Botanical Gardens as needed
Candidate Requirements and Experience
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong interest in horticulture and Japanese and/or Chinese style gardening
- Knowledge of general plant cultivation, watering, pruning, planting, and soil health
- Strong observational skills and detailed oriented work ethic
- Must work well independently and collaboratively
- A strong understanding of English highly desirable
- 1-2 years of professional gardening experience
- Outdoor work in variable weather conditions (intense heat, cold, wind, rain etc.)
- Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs. on a regular basis
- Must be able to stoop, bend, walk long distances and lift moderate (and occasionally heavy) loads.
- Must be competent in the proper use of hand and mechanized tools.
- Must be able to work safely, efficiently and complete tasks within specified timeframe.
Compensation & Benefits
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and perks for all eligible employees including:
- Pay Rate: $19/hr.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 403(b) basic retirement plan and optional matching retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Hybrid remote work schedule available for applicable positions
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and holidays
- Discounts for staff in The Huntington Store and restaurants
- Access to the Museums Council pass, which grants free admission to various museums and cultural institutions
- Free passes each month to welcome family and friends to visit the grounds
The Application Process
Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume as a single PDF attachment.
You will have the opportunity to submit additional documents on the “My Experience” section of the application.