About the Role
The Japanese Heritage Shoya House Gardener II position reports to The Head Gardener of Asian Gardens to ensure that assigned areas of the Japanese Garden are maintained and cared for to the highest standards of quality and display. Utilizing previous professional garden experience, the candidate will showcase a strong interest in the following areas: regenerative farming/agriculture, Japanese gardening, architecture, & culture.
The candidate will be expected to successfully collaborate with volunteers & garden staff on a regular basis and assist in the daily Shoya house operations. They will demonstrate a background of working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, using a welcoming, inclusive, and accessible approach.
- Daily garden maintenance (weeding, watering, pruning, planting, mulching, composting,)
- Develop & manage a seasonal rotation of agricultural/cover crops
- Assist in the daily operations of the Shoya house
- Give guided tours of the gardens and history of the Shoya house
- Routine maintenance on various pond/water features
- Instruct volunteers & work collaboratively with other garden staff on group projects
- Must adhere to written safety policy, following all precautions and directions in use of equipment and chemicals
- Perform tasks in other areas of the Huntington Botanical Gardens as needed
- 1-2 years of professional experience in horticulture, regenerative agriculture, and/or farming
- Knowledge of general plant cultivation, (pruning, planting, soil health, composting etc.)
- Strong interest in Japanese gardening and culture
- Keen observational skills and the ability to complete detailed oriented work quickly
- Must work well independently and collaboratively
- Good communications skills in English a plus
- Outdoor work in variable weather conditions (intense heat, cold, wind, rain etc.)
- Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs. on a regular basis
- Must be able to stoop, bend, walk long distances and lift moderate (and occasionally heavy) loads.
- Must be competent in the proper use of hand and mechanized tools.
- Must be able to work safely, efficiently, and complete tasks within specified timeframe.
Compensation & Benefits
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and perks for all eligible employees including:
- Pay Rate/ Range: $19.00/hr.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 403(b) basic retirement plan and optional matching retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Hybrid remote work schedule available for applicable positions
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and holidays
- Discounts for staff in The Huntington Store and restaurants
- Free admission to various museums and cultural institutions
- Free passes each month to welcome family and friends to visit the grounds
The Application Process
Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume as a single PDF attachment.
You will have the opportunity to submit additional documents on the “My Experience” section of the application.