Malibu Property Head Gardener
Our client in Malibu is in search of a full-time Head Gardener for their property. The Head Gardener will be responsible for looking after a landscape garden of several parts. The project is ‘live,’ and the gardens are interfacing alongside the development of the buildings. The grounds are currently 4.5 acres, with approximately 2 acres completed; the remaining areas are under construction.
We have placed several candidates with this client over the years and can confidently say that they are an A+ employer.
- Live Out
- Monday-Friday | 8-hour days with Flexibility on start and end time
- This position is open to candidates who live a commutable distance from Malibu
This is a new position - the Head Gardener will join the team at this early stage, take ownership of the gardens, and be responsible for the following:
- Monitoring irrigation in a fledgling landscape. All plantings are installed with water-wise consideration, and the ambition over time is to drop irrigation back to a minimum after a period of establishment.
- The candidate must have an understanding of California natives and plants adaptive to a marine environment.
- Caring for a dynamic landscape of new specimen trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals and aiding best establishment, ongoing maintenance, and balance.
- Initially working alongside the existing landscape team to monitor soils, installation of plant material, and irrigation. As the project continues, managing a support team as the plantings extend.
- Working alongside a prominent landscape designer and the Estate Management team to steer the vision for the landscape and the plant material that will help to shape it.
- Lead, motivate, and manage a team of gardeners to ensure the grounds are maintained to the highest standard.
- Ensure all health and safety compliance requirements are adhered to, including the use of personal protective equipment and safe working practices.
- Experience working as a Head Gardener or similar at a private estate
- Ability to lead and train a team
- Pitch in attitude and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of native plants and beachfront property
- Willingness to undergo an in-depth background investigation and sign an NDA
The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to hazardous conditions. This position requires driving trucks, tractors, riding mowers, and small utility vehicles.
This position requires that the hired candidate have the ability to lift, drag, and/or move with assistance large and/or heavy plants and equipment to truck bed level and the ability to kneel, bend, and squat for considerable periods safely and correctly.
- $160k ++ | DOE
- Major medical health and dental insurance
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick days