Nursery Manager - (23002024)
The link below will give you information about the University’s “T” salary structure.
The Nursery Manager reports to the Director of the Ambler Arboretum of Temple University and is responsible for management and oversight of the production and quasi-retail nursery on the Temple Ambler Campus, which supports the academic, conservation/restoration, and educational/outreach missions of the Ambler Arboretum and the Campus. The Nursery Manager will coordinate the nursery operation, including budget and revenue targets; retail sales including cash handling; and staffing, including student workers and interns. The Nursery Manager will source, propagate, and maintain plant material for retail sale, for the Arboretum’s needs, and for instructional purposes in related academic and non-credit courses. They will manage propagation and growing areas; maintain tools, supplies, and equipment; and coordinate inspections, as necessary. The Nursery Manager will work with the Director to develop nursery procedures and practices and will adhere to the University’s policies and business procedures.
The Nursery Manager may provide educational/outreach programs to the community and contribute to the academic mission of the University by supervising students in internships, research, or field experiences, and/or student jobs. This position may also offer an opportunity to teach when the primary role as Nursery Manager allows, and when there is a need in the Landscape Architecture and Horticulture Department (LA/Hort); never more than 2 classes per academic year. The Nursery Manager will work collaboratively with the faculty in the various schools and colleges; with Arboretum, Campus, and Greenhouse staff; and the University’s Facilities Management staff to serve the University’s missions. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
• A bachelor's degree and 3+ years’ experience growing a diverse collection of native plants. Training in Horticulture or related field is preferred. Obtain and maintain a current Category 6 PA Pesticide Professional Applicator’s Certification. Have demonstrated experience related to sustainable practices, IPM, and the use of native plant species. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Interpret and apply university policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Work independently under general supervision
• Work as part of the Arboretum team to set and achieve goals
• Work collaboratively with faculty and staff from the Campus, Arboretum, Field Station, the Schools/Colleges, and University departments.
• Coordinate clerical, record-keeping, inventory, requisitioning, and marketing activities.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers
• Work in a multi-cultural environment
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to work a flexible schedule during the retail season, such as evenings and weekends.
• Experience managing a retail or production nursey is a plus.
• Experience training, hiring, supervising, and evaluating employees is a plus.
*This position requires a background check.
*This position requires Child Abuse Certifications prior to the commencement of service.
Temple University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all in every aspect of its operations, including employment, service, and educational programs. The University has pledged not to discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or veteran status.
Compliance Statement: In the performance of their functions as detailed in the position description employees have an obligation to avoid ethical, legal, financial and other conflicts of interest to ensure that their actions and outside activities do not conflict with their primary employment responsibilities at the institution. Employees are also expected to understand and be in compliance with applicable laws, University and employment policies and regulations, including NCAA regulations for areas and departments which their essential functions cause them to interact.
To obtain additional information about Temple University please visit our website at www.temple.edu.
Temple University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains statistics, policies, and procedures related to campus safety. https://safety.temple.edu/reports-logs/annual-security-report
You may request a copy of the report by calling Temple University’s Campus Safety Services at 215-204-7900.
Primary Location: Pennsylvania-Ambler-Ambler Campus-Administration Bldg
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4552786