Deep Springs College, a unique educational institution in the high desert of Eastern California, is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, and highly motivated Executive Assistant to support the administrative functions of our community.
The Executive Assistant is a key player in our college's operations and supports the college's mission of preparing leaders for a life of service to humanity. The Executive Assistant reports directly to the President and Vice President and may also provide administrative support to the Operations Manager.
As the Executive Assistant at Deep Springs College, you will be an integral part of the college’s operations and academic life, extending beyond the traditional administrative tasks. You will bring order and efficiency to our financial and administrative systems, creating a seamless workflow that allows all components of the college to function optimally.
- Administrative Support: Provide general administrative support to the President as well as the Dean and Operations Manager as needed. This may include coordinating meetings, research tasks, and maintaining an organized and efficient office environment.
- External Communications: Manage all general external communication. This includes answering phone calls, sorting and distributing mail, and handling the general college email inbox. Act as the primary point of contact for outside queries and direct them appropriately.
- Accounts Management: Oversee the accounts payable and receivable. This includes issuing invoices, following up on outstanding payments, and processing incoming payments. Ensure all transactions are recorded accurately and timely in the college's accounting system.
- Internal Accounts System Management: Manage the internal accounts system. This includes maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of all financial transactions, preparing internal financial reports, and assisting with budget preparation and audits.
- Digitization and Records Management: Take the lead in our transition to an electronic records system. This includes digitizing administrative files, setting up and managing a new electronic records system, and ensuring that all digitized records are accurate, complete, and easily accessible.
- Organization and Oversight of the Main College Building: Oversee the student labor positions responsible for the College main building to ensure a clean, organized, and professional working environment.
- Other duties as assigned: As part of a small and dynamic community, the Executive Assistant may occasionally be called upon to assist with tasks outside of their primary responsibilities.
The Executive Assistant, like all Deep Springs staff positions, may be required to spend some of their working time on a governance committee for the college, e.g. the applications committee. They may also have the opportunity, should they so choose, to offer an independent study or small class.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, with preference for experience in office management, particularly in an educational setting.
- Experience in managing accounts payable and receivable, and proficiency with accounting software.
- Experience with electronic records management systems and digital transition projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite and experience with database management.
- Adaptable, problem-solving mindset and discretion with sensitive information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a unique, remote educational community.
Deep Springs values diversity and encourages individuals with various experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The ideal candidate for the Executive Assistant position will have strong organizational skills, excellent communication abilities, a keen eye for detail, and a deep commitment to supporting Deep Springs College's mission and community. Experience with digital records management, accounts payable/receivable, and general office management is highly desired. The candidate must be comfortable working in a remote setting and thrive in a unique, self-reliant, and intellectually vibrant community.
Working at Deep Springs College offers rewarding experiences beyond the scope of individual roles. Staff members not only manage their respective responsibilities but also interact with students, providing guidance in their studies, work, and communal decision-making. Staff also set high behavioral and communicative standards, participate in campus events, and collaborate on problem-solving and improvements. This unique, intimate setting is often considered a rare privilege and enriching aspect of professional life.
This position is a five-day work week but candidates must be flexible for “on call situations,” emergencies, and special events such as (but not limited to) extraordinary projects, board meetings, and reunions.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Executive Assistant position offers the following outstanding benefits:
- On-site housing
- Paid utilities
- Meals provided
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Above-average PTO allowance (starting at 27 days)
- Substantial retirement contribution
- Professional development funding and opportunities
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, alongside the opportunity to live and work in a distinctive educational environment. Here, you can have a meaningful and singular impact.
The salary range for the Executive Assistant is $65,000 - 80,000, dependent on experience.
We are open to candidates early in their career with the potential to fully grow into this role as well as experienced professionals ready to quickly master every element of this position.