Garden Center (Retail Store) Assistant Manager (8-3-23)
Supervisor: Laura Valence
Location: Retail Store, 5015 Market Street, Kalamazoo, MI
About Wenke Greenhouses:
Wenke Greenhouses is a large, family owned, vertically integrated production greenhouse established over 70 years ago. We have four locations Kalamazoo, MI and a sister company in Douglas, GA. We grow and sell flowers year round. Our main crops are annual bedding plants and home-use vegetables. We have recently started to produce perennials and indoor plants. These crops are sold to garden centers, hardware stores and landscapers throughout the Midwest; the Kalamazoo Flower Group (broker), as well as starter plants to other growers. We also have a successful retail store servicing Kalamazoo. We are an industry leader; providing quality plants that make people happier and healthier. We are known for efficient production, being the easiest company to do business with and valuing our employees.
Wenke Retail is the face of Wenke Greenhouses in the community and is known for quality plants and outstanding customer service. The Garden Center Assistant Manager is the under-study to the Garden Center Manager. He/She will have specific responsibilities and have a positive influence on the overall business. Over time, the assistant will learn all the responsibilities of the manager. The retail is its own profit center separate from the growing aspects of Wenke Greenhouses while also coordinating directly with it. We currently have one location and are open for sales to the public approximately April 1 to October 31.
· Learning all management responsibilities and store processes
· People management including hiring, training, scheduling and direction
· Purchasing the product from Wenke Wholesale and other vendors
· Promotions / marketing / events
· Sales (cashiers, cash, banking, etc…)
· Facility management (Safe, clean, operational)
· Analysis and continuous improvement
· Coordination to ensure that product quality is maintained
Schedule / work hours:
· April-June are the prime season and will likely require up to 60 hours per week including some evenings and most weekends. Mother’s Day weekend and Memorial Day weekend are mandatory.
· July – October are less busy and so can expect 40 hours per week including some evenings and most Saturdays.
· November – March are more flexible because the store is closed. An average of 30 hours per week is expected and weekends are off.
· Management experience (3 or more years preferred)
· Retail or Restaurant experience (3 or more years preferred)
· Purchasing experience helpful
· *Note that experience in another industry is acceptable. Many start in another career and migrate to horticulture because they enjoy the benefits of plants.
Skills & Traits Needed:
· Desire to learn and develop into the Manager position
· Leadership (especially under-pressure during busy season)
· Ability to be self-directed and motivated
· Plant knowledge (not required but very helpful)
· Ability to demonstrate and train excellent customer service
· Identify solutions
· Budgeting and planning
· Computer knowledge (Word, Excel, Counterpoint, Websites, etc…)
· Able to adapt to the physical demands of the job (walking, hot/cold temperatures, lifting, etc…)
· Commensurate with experience; $40,000 to $55,000 per year salary
· Paid time off
· Health and Dental insurance options
· 401K with company match
· Employee discount on purchases
· Email Judy.Hammer @WenkeGreenhouses.com and include a resume and cover letter that addresses your experience, skills and traits and how they meet the requirements.