Are you a force for good? Does the opportunity to devote your talents to a cause much greater than yourself excite you? The Arbor Day Foundation could be the organization that makes you love where you work.
Arbor Day Farm is a property owned and operated by the Arbor Day Foundation. This property is where our missions comes to life! As one of the world's largest operating conservation foundations, the Arbor Day Foundation educates and engages stakeholders and communities across the globe to involve themselves in its mission of planting, nurturing and celebrating trees. Our vision is to help others understand and use trees as a solution to many of the global issues we face today, including air quality, water quality, climate change, deforestation, poverty and hunger.
We are looking for a Director of Horticulture to oversee day to day operations, coordinate, design, develop, and assist with strategic and long-term planning for our beautiful 260-acre property!
· Passion. For the Foundation’s mission, nature, environmental stewardship and people.
· Possess. Extensive knowledge of landscape horticulture/architecture, ecosystem management, conservation science, or closely related fields as acquired through a combination of education and hands-on experience.
· Certified. You are a certified Arborist who is passionate about trees and their growth.
· Proven motivator/leader. A proven self-starter, motivating others thorough knowledge of their field with a drive/desire to provide service excellence and leadership to others at all levels.
· Attention to detail. Proactive organizational skills, situationally analytical but also able to think outside the box and actively solve problems.
· Capabilities of prioritizing multiple tasks while committed to responding in agreed upon timeframes in a fast-paced environment, you are able to work with minimal supervision.
· Bachelor's or master’s degree in Horticulture, Plant/Agricultural Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Natural Resources/Ecosystem Management or Public Horticulture preferred. Individuals with demonstrated work experience in arboriculture, horticulture, and land stewardship, those with a combination of education and hands on experience are encouraged to apply.
· Excellent communication skills. Can communicate messages easily comprehended by multiple audiences, including academics/professionals, technicians and technical service staff, visitors, students, and external media.
· Skilled in diplomacy and negotiation. Ability to represent and advance the Foundations interests while forging new partnerships and collaborations. Can resolve conflicts positively and productively. Will represent the Foundation in a positive light and foster stakeholder enthusiasm and support for the organization.
· Take responsibility for all horticultural initiatives, including the planning, design, procurement, implementation, and oversight of all Orchard, Forest, Arboretum, and garden spaces.
· Lead. Assume primary management, support, and development of the Orchard, Grounds, and Greenhouse Teams.
· Design, conceptualize, direct and manage all horticultural activities, including four-season horticultural design, plant cultivation and protection, turf and tree care, greenhouse production and sustainability practices.
· Report to the Vice President of Arbor Day Farm in developing immediate and long-term plans to achieve horticultural excellence.
· Create and direct collaboratively all horticulture exhibitions, special events and activities to attract new and diverse audiences.
· Develop, assess, and monitor annual horticulture plans and the corresponding budgets.
· Participate in long-range master planning, strategic business plans, and other work to address future growth and development.
· Model our Core Values. Your performance and behaviors will align with our Core Values.
Love Where You Work:
· We’re in this together. A culture focused on kindness, collaboration and the intrinsic shared purpose to do what’s right. We pride ourselves on the culture we’ve built. We love it, and we know you will too.
· We care about your health. Competitive healthcare (health, dental, vision) coverage for you and your loved ones matched with a wellness incentives program.
· We invest in your future. Company paid short-term and long-term disability, life insurance and 401k with company match.
· We want to stay connected. We’ll hook you up with a company laptop and phone.