Come join our team!
The Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind (VSDB) is located in the historic, vibrant city of Staunton, Virginia. VSDB provides superior education for students who are deaf/hard of hearing, blind/vision impaired, deafblind, and deaf or blind with other disabilities. VSDB offers PreK-12 education with both residential and day student options. VSDB believes that disabilities are challenges not barriers and supports each student in their goal to be independent and to reach their highest academic potential! VSDB prepares students for life!
Why come to VSDB?
✔ $3,000 Sign-on Bonus now available!
✔ Supportive and positive team setting
✔ Great comprehensive benefit package including:
✔ Ample paid time off including paid leave and more than 15 holidays
✔ Low cost medical, dental and vision insurance
The Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind in Staunton is seeking a Farm Manager to manage and operate the VSDB Educational Urban Farm, which provides students of all ages a place to learn, training opportunities for educators, and nutritious food for the school and community.
This is a Classified Restricted position funded through special funding.
● Planning and management of Urban Educational Farm space using sustainable practices
● Managing seasonal set up and maintenance of farm space including irrigation, composting, grass cutting, weed management, mulching, etc.
● Planning and maintaining perennial space
● Procuring and maintaining tools and supplies for urban farm
● Planning and maintaining consistent recordkeeping system
● Maintaining and creating new community-based partnerships
● Plan and implement educational workshops and events for community, special groups, VSDB students and staff, or other interested parties
● Collaborate with VSDB departments such as Food Service, Student Life, Maintenance and Grounds, and Independent Living Apartments
● Collaborate with VSDB Administration in future planning and events related to use of the Educational Farm
● Collaborate with Horticulture Specialist and VSDB teachers in planning and implementing educational lessons on the farm and/or in the greenhouse
● Maintain current grant management and work with VSDB Foundation in securing new grant opportunities
● Managing and recruiting volunteers and/or mentors for the farm
● Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent amount of training and/or work experience in the area of agriculture, horticulture or similar field of study
● Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver’s License with driving record that reflects a sense of responsibility for highway and passenger safety or ability to obtain following DMV guidelines
● Proficiency level of “Survival” in American Sign Language as measured by the Sign Language Proficiency Interview or agreement to acquire this level within three years
● Ability to manage perennial fruits, berries, medicinal herbs, and perennial systems
● Knowledge of and commitment to building sustainable food systems
● Ability to multitask; strong organizational and time management skills
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
● Ability to work independently and as a part of a team with horticulture staff and other VSDB personnel
● Ability to follow agency policy and procedures
● Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications and Google Suite
● Current CPR and First Aid certification is required or must be obtained in accordance with school policy
● Basic carpentry skills and machine maintenance preferred
● Knowledge of organic practices preferred
● Experience working with and teaching students of varying ages, abilities and disabilities preferred
● Ability to lift 50-75 pounds, perform repetitive motions to include standing, sitting, reaching, lifting, walking, bending, climbing
● Ability to tolerate various chemicals
● Ability to tolerate various weather conditions
Note: A criminal history and driving record check will be required for final candidates.
Applications must be completed online at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. VSDB is a tobacco free facility. For more information call (540) 332-9069 or visit our website at www.vsdb.k12.va.us.