HEAD GARDENER / HORTICULTURIST:
A prominent estate on the Gold Coast of Long Island is looking for a passionate horticulturist to
assist with the care and development of its unique grounds.
The 5-acre organic property includes
extensive perennial and shrub borders, a woodland garden, a knot garden, a vegetable and cut flower
garden, numerous seasonal container displays, greenhouses, koi ponds, and water features.
Additionally, the waterfront property is home to many birds, including peacocks, chickens, pheasants, and guinea hens.
The ideal candidate will genuinely be interested in gardens and the natural world.
The available position is suited for an individual with 3-5 years of experience working in private or public gardens
and looking for an attractive and unique garden to call home.
You will work together with the
existing team of groundskeepers to maintain the property and report directly to the Estate Manager and Owners.
This is a full-time, year-round position that includes benefits.
• Perform horticultural tasks, including planting, pruning, weeding, watering, deadheading, mulching, and lawn care.
• Maintain annual and perennial container displays.
• Assist with greenhouse maintenance and snow removal.
• Available to work occasional weekends as needed.
• Formal horticultural training is high, but extensive practical experience is preferable.
• Three years experience as a gardener/horticulturist in the private or public sector.
• Wide range of plant identification and knowledge of care will be necessary.
• Knowledge of Orchids is helpful.
• Willingness to work amongst exotic birds, dogs, and other family pets.
• Ability to work with a team as well as independently.
• Experience with specific garden tools and machinery.
• Must be able to work outdoors 8 hours each day and lift 50 lbs
• Punctual, hardworking, and self-motivated.
• Knowledge of Spanish is helpful.
• Experience in temperate ornamental horticulture and/or arboriculture preferred.
• Experience with commercial equipment preferred.
• Valid Driver's license.