The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium (LLPA) is a 501(c3) non-profit organization that provides the community with countless educational opportunities to understand and respect our precious Earth and its living ecosystems, from the Utah deserts and mountains, to rain forest habitats, to the planet’s vast oceans. Working at The Living Planet Aquarium is more than just a job, it is purpose-driven work. We need exceptionally talented and hardworking team members to join us on our mission of inspiring people to explore, discover, and learn about Earth’s diverse ecosystems. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages including medical, dental, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, 401(k) with match, PTO, Holiday Pay, New Child Leave, Aquarium Memberships and passes, and much more.
Position: Landscape Maintenance Technician II
Reports To: Horticulture Manager
The Landscape Maintenance Technician is part of the Horticulture team and specializes in outside landscape maintenance. This position is responsible for monitoring and maintaining all outside plant material, irrigation lines, and tools. This includes turf, landscape beds, shrubs, trees, and irrigation lines. Duties include performing routine maintenance on irrigation system, seasonal fertilizing, plant install, weed removal, and general health maintenance of plants on plaza, parking lot, and surrounding areas. As part of the Horticulture team, this position is responsible for maintaining the highest standard of plant health for the plant collection in public spaces.
- A BS/BA degree in landscape maintenance or related field preferred
- At least five years' paid experience in landscape maintenance.
- Pesticide applicators license preferred or be willing to acquire one within six months of hiring.
- Knowledge and ability to adhere to OSHA standards and proper use of personal protective equipment in a landscape and aquarium environment.
- Understanding drought optimization and unique landscaping situations.
- Knowledge of Utah native and drought tolerant plants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and install irrigation system components for the Plaza Gardens.
- Seasonal fertilizer application of trees, shrubs, and turf.
- Maintain healthy turf on Plaza, parking lot and surrounding areas to a high standard so that it looks lush and thriving, including high traffic areas.
- Maintain weed free beds on Plaza and in parking lot and surrounding areas.
- Collaborate with the team on plant installation.
- Learn inside plant care and maintenance.
- Clean and maintain tools properly
Physical Demands of the Job:
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following have been identified as physical requirements of the job.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds, stand for long periods of time and drive aquarium vehicles
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
- The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, reach or feel and manipulate objects or controls
- The employee is frequently required to sit, walk distances, climb, balance, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch and stand for long periods for time
- The employee is required to perform the above functions in extreme weather conditions.
Special Working Conditions:
You will be working in extreme weather conditions and sometimes around animals. Work may be performed at night and or on weekends and holidays. Will be working around pesticides and will be digging and bending over repeatedly. While this job description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this job at any time.
The Living Planet Aquarium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or military status. The Living Planet Aquarium is committed to ensuring individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application and interview process. Should you require accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
Depending on the volume of interests and submissions, we will only be contacting applicants who meet all of the minimum requirements listed in the job posting. Only those applicants who align most closely with our minimum and preferred qualifications will be contacted for an interview. Loveland Living Planet Aquarium will retain your application materials for one year and may contact you regarding future opportunities.