DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The purpose of the Houston Airport System (HAS) Maintenance business unit is to effectively deliver self-performed, and contracted, maintenance services at each of the three HAS airports.
The HAS Grounds Maintenance, Airport Superintendent, will report directly to the Division Manager, Horticulture Maintenance Services, and will be responsible for the effective delivery and management of landside grounds maintenance activities such as; mowing, edging, herbicide application, ditch maintenance and in addition; boulevard and parking lot trash pickup, and contract compliance for the exterior Landscaping and Interiorscaping contracts amongst any other assigned tasks, at all three HAS airports.
"Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required."
The Airport Superintendent duties will include but are not limited to:
- Supervises, through subordinate personnel, all activities in the unit in order to assure the safety and efficiency of airport functions.
- Plans, executes, and monitors work assignments consistent with prescribed policies, rules, and regulations.
- Trains and tests subordinate personnel; interprets instructions and specifications; provides guidance, reviews and evaluates the work of section personnel.
- Manages materials usage and monitors inventory system and stock levels as required to assure adequate supply of critical items. Under direction, is responsible for establishing procedures to ensure proper care, control and use of tools and supplies.
- Manages the scheduling and coordination of operations; maintains expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget limitations.
- Prepares annual budget request for the branch; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance within approved budget limitations.
- Maintains liaison with airline operations, FAA Control Tower, FBO's tenant, and other units of the Aviation Department.
- Provides data input and recommendations pertinent to rules, regulations and policies affecting the operations and functions of the section.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Public Administration, Aviation Management, Business
Administration or related field.
Six years of progressively responsible experience in airport operations and/or maintenance of an airport or comparable facility are required, preferably with at least three of those years in a supervisory capacity.
High school diploma and ten years of responsible experience in airport operation and/or maintenance of a civil airport, preferably with at least four years in a supervisory capacity, may be substituted for the above
Preferences will be given to applicant with the following skillset;
* Degree in Horticulture, Landscape Management, Landscape Architecture, Turf Management, Physical Sciences, Physical Planning, or Aviation Management
* 6 years of experience or more with directly supervising grounds maintenance crews and or landscaping crews.
* Detecting Mowing, Airport grounds maintenance, landscaping & Interiorscaping maintenance material condition defects through observation.
* Developing comprehensive maintenance schedules and technical specifications for successful delivery of self-performed maintenance services.
* Discerning performance levels of contract and/or internal staff in maintaining Horticulture business unit standards.
* Developing recommended plans of action to remedy short term operational deficiencies and delivery concerns.
* Successfully managing, from the perspectives of technical performance of internal staff, and financial performance, the day-to-day operations and maintenance, related to assets.
****Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.****