Private Estate Part-time Seasonal Gardener wanted for private 40+ acre farm with multiple residences located in NE Chester County, PA. This position will report to the estate’s Head Gardener and will work collaboratively with the property’s owner and other property and household staff. Garden / horticultural areas on the property include an English-style perennial garden, shade garden, cutting garden, vegetable garden, herb garden, bog garden, formal allee and several perennial borders. There are also several larger horticultural features, including an ornamental grass labyrinth, wildflower meadow, earth works sculpture, ponds and a small stream.
Position is anticipated to be a seasonal, part-time position, starting Spring 2023. This job does not offer housing. Compensation will be based on experience.
Job responsibilities include:
· Oversee assigned horticultural areas on the property
· Planting and maintenance of garden beds (weeding, irrigation, fertilization, pruning, mulching, etc.)
· Monitoring, diagnosing and treating insect, disease and physiological issues
· Prefer 3+ years gardening experience at a private residence or recognized horticultural institution
· Excellent communication skills
· Must be a self-starter while also being willing to work under supervision/reporting to Head Gardener
· Professional and able to accept constructive criticism and handle stress/important project deadlines
· Extensive knowledge of perennials, annuals, and shrubs.
· Significant experience and/or education in gardening work, including watering, fertilizing, potting, repotting, pruning, grooming and general maintenance
· Willingness to work occasional weekends; Ability to lift 50+ lbs and to perform strenuous tasks under a variety of conditions (weather and temperature); Must be able to operate equipment used for gardening purposes (aerators, electric trimmers, etc.)
· Must be fluent in English but conversational Spanish language a plus; have valid driver’s license and be legal to work in the USA
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Kate LeVasseur at firstname.lastname@example.org.