Reports to: Director of Residences & Hospitality
This is an excellent opportunity for a passionate farm management professional to really create and fortify an existing family farm to optimize its' potential and have a hand in creating organic products. You will have the opportunity to work alongside various support professionals to plan a vegetable garden with the Chef and expand product development utilizing ingredients sourced from the farm. There will be a community outreach through this opportunity to interface with the local Farmers Markets and implement the family's' vision of self-sustainability and good farming practices.
The Farm Manager is responsible for managing the agricultural operations of the Glen Head residential farm as well as training, leading and overseeing full-time and seasonal farm staff. This role works closely with Chefs, the Director of Properties and Hospitality, Property Managers, and with the Family’s Office to ensure the seamless operation and production of sustainably-raised-high-quality produce and products.
The Farm Manager leads the cultivation of the farm as a whole, including management of intensive annual vegetables, perennials, orchards, berries, beekeeping, free range poultry, food preserving, and beyond. The Farm Manager is a key collaborator in developing the Brand and bringing the family’s vision for their Farm to life.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Manage all aspects of a sustainable, diversified organic farm
• Create and execute seasonal planting, harvesting and maintenance of farm and land
• Manage Farm Team including sourcing, hiring, training, and development. Oversee daily operations and ensure Farm stays on track with the schedule of production
• Organize workflow, tasks and allocation of resources to maximize production efforts including all seasonal preparations and maintenance needs
• Oversee the distribution of produce, flowers and farm-made products to residences, markets, e-commerce and other miscellaneous channels as needed
• Adhere to organic standards and, where possible, biodynamic practices
• Identify and manage disease and pest problems
• Source and purchase equipment and supplies
• Ensure safe operation and maintenance of farm tools and equipment
• Keep accurate records, inventories and collect relevant data
• Improve farm facilities and infrastructure, and ensure property is an “event-ready” space
• Schedule and receive vendors and visitors with professionalism and hospitality, following company rules and privacy protocols
• Manage Farmer’s Market participation including preparation and presence
• Lead production of Farm-derived products (jam, honey, soap etc.)
• Manage long-term development, community outreach, promotion, and educational initiatives including building of social content
• 4+ years experience working on an agricultural farm with focus on organic and/or biodynamic practices
• Strong understanding of year-round farm operations and seasonality needs in North East, including winterization of property, preparing beds for planting, protecting crops from elements/predators, etc.
• 3+ year successfully leading and managing a team in an agricultural setting
• Organizational and strategic planning a must
• Comfort working with autonomy to set priorities and schedule for farm seasonally and day-to-day
• Polished, poised and professional in both mindset and manor; use of utmost discretion and confidentiality required at all times
• Savvy with computers (mac and/or PC) as well as iPhone and smart home technology
• Experience caring for chickens and bees a plus
• Valid US driver’s license and clean driving record
• Legally able to work in the US