Matsuda’s is currently seeking candidates to join our propagation department as the Propagation Manager. This is a unique position for an individual who is passionate about propagation. Matsuda’s is a regionally recognized wholesale plant nursery specializing in woody ornamental shrubs and trees, along with annuals, perennials, vegetables, succulents and houseplants. This role offers the opportunity to work with a wide array of plant genera.
Enjoy being part of a highly motivated, passionate team and help to bring the very best quality plants to market!www.matsudasnursery.com
The Propagation Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of our wholesale nursery’s propagation department. This includes responsibility for hands-on growing and record-keeping for all propagation programs, supervising the propagation team, and includes oversight of proper climate control, watering practices, and insect pest management. The Propagation Manager ensures provision of high-quality liner material to production crews in an efficient and cost-effective manner. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the General Manager of the nursery.
- Maintain an organized, clean, safe, and efficient propagation operation
- Coordinate plant propagation with General Manager and production teams; plan and execute accordingly to meet production goals
- Plan, schedule, oversee, and follow-up with work tasks as they are executed by crew members; monitor crew efficiency and workflow
- Ensure provision of quality liner plant material to the production department
- Schedule watering, trimming, and repotting
- Maintain detailed inventory counts of all on hand material in propagation department
- Manage and train the propagation team to ensure skill development that builds the horticultural capacity of Matsuda employees to propagate plants
- Develop and maintain an accurate cost basis for plants produced in the propagation department with assistance from the General Manager and Accounting Department on an annual basis
- Improve and update propagation infrastructure as needed to fulfill the goals of the nursery
- Utilize best management practices in the propagation operation
- Work with the General Manager to coordinate activity requiring a larger workforce; work with all departments to accomplish common tasks as a team
- Daily record keeping of crew activities while monitoring efficiency and workflow; determine activity rates and tasks are being completed in accordance with previous workflow; adjust work activities to ensure goals are met
- Performs other related duties as required
- Horticulture or related degree (or equivalent experience), required, as well as at least 3 years’ experience with plant propagation and nursery management; woody ornamental propagation experience strongly preferred
- Must be familiar with soils, fertilizers and general chemicals used in propagation and nursery management
Requirements & Physical Demands:
- Bilingual Spanish (required)
- Must be passionate and knowledgeable about plant propagation
- Must be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a team
- Must be able to effectively direct and manage a team of 12-25 crew members
- Should display solid people management and task management skills
- Must be creative, innovative and be a results-oriented team player
- Upbeat attitude, takes initiative
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to recognize and execute solutions for growing concerns
- Ability to propose, implement and follow through on matters of policy and program while handling repetitive or sporadic detail in an effective and timely fashion
- Computer proficiency is required for nursery database as well as proficiency in Excel and Word
- Able to work in environment with exposure to all types of weather
- Must be able to walk and stand for extended periods. Some bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching, stretching, squatting and kneeling may be required.
- Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (seasonally adjusted); weekend work required seasonally and as job duties demand
$95,000 - $125,000 per year, depending upon experience
Our Company is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, medical condition, disability, marital status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s Human Resources Department if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.