The Application Process
Visit us at https://www.huntington.org/employment to apply directly!
Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume as a single PDF attachment.
You will have the opportunity to submit additional documents on the “My Experience” section of the application.
About the Role
The pruning specialist I reports to the Horticulture Curator of Asian Gardens to ensure that the care and maintenance of all trees, shrubs, and plants in the Chinese Garden, Japanese Garden, and North Vista are maintained to the highest standards of quality, health, cultural accuracy, and aesthetics. The incumbent will work autonomously to determine proper pruning techniques and implementation throughout over twenty-five acres of garden. The candidate will be expected to supervise volunteers, new employees, and assist the Horticulture Curator and Head Gardener on special projects related to pruning, planting, garden maintenance, and design. S/he/they will demonstrate a background of working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, using a welcoming, inclusive, and accessible approach.
- Assess and implement correct pruning methods for a wide range of trees, shrubs, and plants at various stages of development, and in accordance with Chinese and Japanese style gardening principles (emphasis on the following genera: Camellia, Pinus, Juniperus, Magnolia, Cycas, Prunus, Quercus)
- Supervise and instruct new employees and volunteers regarding proper pruning techniques and long-term care strategies
- Work with fellow staff members as needed on day-to-day tasks throughout the garden (pruning, weeding, mulching, general cleaning)
- Meet regularly with Curator to report overall conditions of gardens and pathways
- Ensure that gardens are safe and presentable for the public
- Maintain equipment, tool inventory, and ensure repairs are done in a timely manner
- Assist Curator with special projects in the garden
Other Duties (as needed)
- Monitor the impact of construction on gardens and plant material during times of renovation and heavy foot traffic
- Work extra hours on weekends and evenings during special functions
- Assist contracted landscapers/hardscaping crews with minor construction work
- Willingness to obtain certification to spray pesticide/herbicide/fertilizer in accordance with all California state laws and requirements
- May perform other related duties as assigned
Candidate Requirements and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of related Chinese and/or Japanese garden style pruning
- Familiarity with traditions, history, and culture of Japan and China as they relate to gardens
- A strong understanding of the botanical classification of plants
- Willingness to learn accessioning and inventory system used in the gardens
- A comprehensive understanding of safe gardening and work practices
- The ability to work autonomously and proactively with minimal supervision
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- A degree in horticulture, or higher education level coursework completed towards a degree in horticulture
- Basic understanding of Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), and/or Spanish
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions including intense heat, cold, rain, and wind
- Routine use of ladders/stairs in remote, elevator free areas of the garden
- Routinely perform physical work in the gardens which may include bending, pulling, stooping, squatting, lifting, digging and/or hauling garden waste for prolonged periods of time
- The ability to consistently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Use of basic garden power/hand tools expected
Compensation & Benefits
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and perks for all eligible employees including:
- Pay range: $19-22/hr. Negotiable and commensurate on experience.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 403(b) basic retirement plan and optional matching retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Hybrid remote work schedule available for applicable positions
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and holidays
- Commuter benefits (pre-tax income for mass transit expenses and free parking)
- Discounts for staff in The Huntington Store and restaurants
- Access to the Museums Council pass, which grants free admission to various museums and cultural institutions
- Free passes each month to welcome family and friends to visit the grounds