Nursery Department Leader/Manager - Retail Garden Center
Full-time Highland Gardens III Camp Hill, PA
Highland Gardens is a family-owned, independent garden center that has been serving the central Pennsylvania community for nearly 70 years! We are seeking an experienced nursery manager to run and operate our tree & shrub department.
The nursery manager is fully responsible for overseeing and performing all of the general functions of the nursery including, but not limited to:
- Ensuring exemplary customer service is provided to all of our customers(!!!)
- Organization and display of plants, keeping displays fresh and relative to the different seasons.
- Care and maintenance of plants including watering, pruning, spacing, etc. as well as the upkeep of the nursery grounds.
- Assist and oversee the unloading of plant material in a safe and timely manner
- Assist in the ordering of trees and shrubs, oversee inventory procedures, and that all plant material is tagged, priced and displayed with proper signage
- Keep up to date with new plant varieties and current industry trends. Offer input for future growth, product lines, improvements, etc.
- Plan, organize and execute the daily functions of the nursery; leading, training and supervising of other nursery team members.
- Communicate & coordinate with the other department leaders in the overall operations of the garden center.
Our Nursery Manager must possess:
- A positive, upbeat attitude, the ability to lead others, and a passion for excellence!
- A passion for plants and our industry and the desire to share that passion with our customers and the community.
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoy talking to and assisting customers.
- Strong communication skills, with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- A strong work ethic and the integrity to lead by example.
- The desire to provide support and training to support other team members’ growth and development.
- Previous leadership experience in the garden center or nursery industry.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in the garden center/nursery industry, with previous leadership experience preferred, or the desire to build upon your experience and become a leader in our field.
- Strong plant knowledge, especially of trees and shrubs, including identification, culture, and care.
- All-around knowledge of general gardening including planting, soils, amendments, fertilizers, sprays, etc.
- The ability to lead others effectively, to help support a positive, uplifting culture in coordination with our company’s standards and values.
- Willingness to work weekends, and some evenings. Some holidays are also required.
- Willingness to work some long hours and overtime when necessary
- The ability to move and lift heavy material repeatedly, and to be on your feet & moving for long periods of time and in all weather conditions.
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Benefits include: (upon eligibility)
- Paid vacation;
- Employer matched 401k
- Profit sharing/bonus
- The opportunity to work in an amazing environment with amazing people!! :)