Position Summary: The Arborist is the primary staff member that provides professional management of the trees in and surrounding Bellingrath Gardens and Home, including non-public service areas. Regular general tasks include inspection, diagnosis and initiation of appropriate actions required to care for the Garden’s trees. The Arborist also develops and administers a complete pest management program to effectively monitor and suppress insects and diseases. The Arborist establishes and maintains a comprehensive inventory of the Garden’s trees. This position also works for half of the year in the Christmas department, installing and uninstalling lights and related features for the Magic Christmas in Lights show. The Arborist is an essential new position that will allow Magic Christmas in Lights to implement an exciting new 7-year master plan that will see novel features developed and existing ones improved.
Strong candidates will possess a hard working demeanor, adherence to instruction, efficiency in completing tasks in a timely manner, and an attitude towards safety. This position is an outdoor position, and applicants must be able to perform regular work under climatic conditions typical to Mobile, Alabama.
Job Title: Arborist
Reports To: Director of Horticulture (March through August), Manager of Magic Christmas in Lights (September through February)
Department: Horticulture (March through Aug.), Christmas (Sept. through Feb.)
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Full Time Position: Hourly, minimum 40 hours per week, health/dental/life insurance group plans, paid short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays.
About Bellingrath Gardens and Home: Bellingrath Gardens and Home is the historic 65-acre estate and home of Walter D. Bellingrath and Bessie Morse Bellingrath, opened to the public in 1932. The Bellingrath-Morse Foundation was established by Mr. Bellingrath in 1949 on his 80th birthday to perpetuate the Gardens and Home as a “permanent and fitting memorial” to his wife’s “artistry and genius.” Today, visitors to Bellingrath Gardens and Home stroll through the vibrant and ever-changing estate garden and tour the historic home, built in 1935 and filled with the original furnishings and pieces collected by the two founders. Bellingrath is Alabama’s oldest public garden, remaining relevant today through its many varied programs, including its award-winning “Magic Christmas in Lights” holiday festival.
Primary duties of this position include:
- Utilizing ANSI A300 pruning standards on all tree work
- Assessing and maintaining Bellingrath’s trees through pruning, bracing and removal
- Regularly climbing trees (using appropriate gear and safety equipment)
- Applying pesticides and fertilizers safely and appropriately
- Operating chainsaws and other pruning equipment
- Operating an articulating man-lift
- Assisting outside contractors that are brought in to handle larger arboricultural projects
- Identifying and communicating potential hazard trees/branches/conditions to management
- Disposal of limbs and branches in debris areas
- Reducing larger branches/trunks into usable firewood for evening events (mainly Magic Christmas in Lights)
- Other duties as assigned in the Horticulture department
- Climbing trees and string-wrapping and/or hanging Christmas lights
- Staying/bracing exhibit pieces that are installed aerially
- Assist in set-up and takedown of Magic Christmas in Lights exhibits
- Uninstalling and putting into storage lights and related supplies at the conclusion of Magic Christmas in Lights
- Other duties as assigned in the Christmas department
Qualifications and requirements for the position include:
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in arboriculture utilizing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities associated in the areas of forestry, arboriculture and horticulture
- Ability to climb trees without a fear of heights
- Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry, Urban Forestry, Horticulture, or a closely related degree preferred but not required
- Thorough understanding of ANSI A300 standards
- Expert level experience with chainsaws and related arboricultural equipment
- Experience with power equipment such as tractor, skid-steer, man-lift, and chipper
- Basic understanding of electric-powered items – outlets, extension cords, low-voltage Christmas lights
- Possess or have the ability to obtain an Alabama pesticide permit within three (3) months of employment
- Possess the designation of Certified Arborist from the International Society of Arboriculture or must be able to achieve within one (1) year of employment; including maintaining necessary credentials
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
- Proficiency with basic computer software (Microsoft Office, email)
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work effectively and cohesively with other employees
- Adherence to instruction and management
- Possessing an attitude of safety awareness and practice
- Desire to complete tasks correctly and efficiently
- Good interpersonal communications skills
How to Apply: Send cover letter, current resume, and a list of two (2) references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered as they are received, with applications received by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on February 10, 2023 being prioritized.
Bellingrath Gardens and Home is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other legally protected basis under applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bellingrath Gardens and Home makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.