Director of Horticulture and Operations, The Arboretum at Penn State
We seek a Director of Horticulture and Operations for the Arboretum at Penn State. We sit at an inflection point with several recently completed gardens (Pollinator and Bird Garden, 2021), those currently under construction (Palmer Museum of Art Landscape, 2023) as well future opportunities for the Arboretum at Penn State as we realize our vision to provide connections to plants that fulfill our 21st Century Land Grant mission.
The Director of Horticulture and Operations oversees day-to-day Arboretum operations, coordinates functions among the Arboretum Team, and assists the Arboretum's Director in strategic and long-range planning. Specific responsibilities include direction of all horticultural and facilities maintenance; participation in planning and execution of large-scale capital projects; design development of new displays, gardens, and collections; curatorial oversight of plant collections documentation; and guiding other activities that take place at the facility. They actively represent the Arboretum at Penn State to internal and external constituents as an ambassador and client representative.
Horticulture Operations and Garden Design
• Coordination/Communication between all employees to ensure efficient operation and a collaborative process
• Sets and maintains overall horticultural maintenance standards, policies, and documentation
• Set horticultural priorities; overseesboth routine garden work and provides horticulturalleadership for large-scale projects
• Supervises the maintenance and improvement of the Arboretum's natural areas, primarily the Hartley Wood, the Gerhold Wildflower Trail, and prairie restoration, including the planning and coordination of prescribed fire operations on the site
• Recruits, hires, and develops professional growth for their employees including interns as well as part-time and full-time staff
• Oversees sourcing and procurement for displays and additions to Arboretum collections, infrastructure, and/or garden construction projects
• Reviews and approve designs forseasonal displays; works with other University stakeholders to design larger-scale plantings
• Evaluates performance of existing plantings; executes plant replacements as necessary
Capital Projects and Planning
• Serves on on committees for Arboretum capital projects and infrastructure to ensure that designs reflect and advance the Arboretum's collections and educational / outreach goals
• Proactively reviews design and construction documents, with particular attention to specifications for soils, planting, and protection of existing landscapes/infrastructure
• Communicates to contractors and other University Staff as primary Arboretum project representative during construction to ensure that construction is on time, on budget, and to specifications
• Responds to emerging construction needs and facilitate productive resolution with an eye toward a safe and enjoyable visitor experience and minimal disruption to daily horticultural activities
• Participates in long-range master planning, strategic business plans, and other work to address future Arboretum growth and development
• Works with Arboretum Director and others to identify and prioritize landscape and plant collections development, education/outreach programs, and staff professional development
Arboretum Outreach and Research Collaborations
• Collaborates with internal and external PR and Communications team members to inform and inspire others to visit and engage
• Supports and may lead educational and programmatic efforts such as Avian education and horticultural internship experiences
• May deliver guest lectures, seminars and workshops for internal University audiences and external constituents including but not limited to home gardeners, horticultural professionals, and conservation/environmental stewardship groups; serves as content expert for media inquiries and interviews
• Coordinates and Collaborates with Arboretum Director as well as university faculty and students on proposed or active research or outreach projects taking place at/with the Arboretum; tracks, facilitates, and coordinates use of Arboretum collections and landscape attributes to showcase research while stewarding daily guest experience and horticultural functions
• May author, review, and respond to fundraising proposals related to horticulture, collections, capital projects, arts exhibitions, and etc. to grow the impact of the arboretum
• Represents the Arboretum on select University committees (e.g., University Tree Commission).
• Supports Arboretum Director and Director of Developmentin stewardshipof donors such as in identifying strategic opportunities for philanthropy and meeting with prospective/current donors
Administrative Duties, Professional Development, and Training
• Oversees financial obligations related to their position including the mutual setting of yearly operating budget and expense expectations, approval of work invoices, contracts, and other agreements that impact the Arboretum in conjunction with the Director of the Arboretum, Financial Coordinator(s), and other University Staff
• Performs employee administrative and leadership duties related to their position and role such as supervision, coaching, performance evaluation, and the professional development of interns, students, and staff
• Leads or participates in projects and initiatives as a department representative, cross-functional team member, or individual contributor
• Completes mandatory training requirements commensurate with position (ex. PA Licensed Pesticide Applicator Exam and Recertification)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Possesses extensive knowledge of landscape horticulture/architecture, ecosystem management, conservation science, or closely related fields as acquired through a combination of education and hands-on experience in the operation of a public horticulture facility, museum, park, nature center, or similar facility
• Displays attention to detail and proactive organizational skills. Situationally analytical but also able to think outside the box and actively solve problems
• Ability to treat sensitive business information and people in a confidential, caring, and professional manner
• Capable of prioritizing multiple tasks while committed to responding in agreed upon timeframes in a fast-paced environment, working independently with minimal supervision
• Is both a leader and a learner who works harmoniously in a team environment with a shared positive outlook to achieve and celebrate team goals whether following, organizing, collaborating, directing, and/or motivating others
• Clear and persuasive written communication skills. Ability to issue instructions understood by multiple readers, including academic/professional audiences, donors and funders, technicians (e.g. manuals, handbooks, and training documents), and public/community members.
• Motivational and congenial oral communication skills. Can communicate messages easily comprehended by multiple audiences, including academics/professionals, technicians and technical service staff, visitors, students, and external media.
• Skilled in diplomacy and negotiation. Ability to represent and advance Arboretum interests while forging new partnerships and collaborations. Can resolve conflicts positively and productively. Will represent the Arboretum in a positive light and foster stakeholder enthusiasm and support for the organization.
• Professional service and possible leadership on a national level. Contributes to the field of public horticulture through professional service, volunteerism, and peer-to-peer education.
• Licensures: Ability to obtain and maintain Pennsylvania Pesticide Applicators License, CORE and Categories 6,7, and 18
• Displays familiarity with (and an ongoing dedication to) the highest standards and software (ex. IrisBG, ArcGIS) related to the curation, recordkeeping, and mapping of plant collections
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 Suite Software (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Sharepoint, Teams, etc.) is required. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite Software (Acrobat, Photoshop, In-Design, etc.) is a plus
Education and Experience
Typically requires a Bachelor's Degree plus 8 years of related experience. Or, an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Bachelor's or Masters Degree in Horticulture, Plant/Agricultural Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Natural Resources/Ecosystem Management or Public Horticulture preferred. Individuals with demonstrated work experience in arboriculture, horticulture, land stewardship, facility management, etc. are encouraged to apply. A combination of education and experience can be substituted for requirements described above.
This position requires the following clearances in addition to applicable background checks: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
The Pennsylvania State University recognizes that diversity, inclusion, and equity are fundamental to the University's values and mission to support all members of our Commonwealth and beyond. We strive to assertively incorporate these values into our research, teaching, learning, outreach, assessment, operations, and decision making at all levels of the University. More information can be obtained here.
For a full description of position, please visit:https://tinyurl.com/REQ37550
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3786016
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.