Saunders Genetics LLC is a subsidiary of Saunders Brothers Inc. (wholesale nursery, orchard, and farm market) and the creator of the NewGen® Boxwood brand (www.newgenboxwood.com), grown by an international network of nursery licensees. Our mission is to breed, trial, select and introduce high-performing boxwood for landscape professionals and homeowners. We are expanding our research and marketing team to include a Boxwood Research Technician. This position will be critical to the success of the breeding program, trials, and brand, as the successful candidate will manage stock plant and propagule inventory, collect and manage trial data, and much more. If you've dreamed of working in a family atmosphere where hard work, integrity, honesty, and passion are core values, come join our team!
Requirements and duties would include the following:
- Tag creation, inventory, transplant, and ongoing organization and maintenance of selections (with help as needed) in NewGen® greenhouses.
- Creation and management of data and inventory spreadsheets.
- Assist with treatment applications and collect data from boxwood blight and leaf miner trial plots. Note some research plots are in North Carolina and may require periodic overnight travel.
- Understanding of experimental design and protocols of work being performed to assure the accuracy and quality of test results.
- Assist as needed in boxwood breeding program.
- Bachelor of Science required (Master of Science desirable) in environmental science, horticulture, plant pathology, or a related field. Associate’s degree with two to four years of equivalent experience considered.
- Excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are required.
- Some laboratory experience or experience in agricultural field research is preferred. Knowledge and experience in plant pathology desirable.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook plus math skills.
- Some proficiency in Spanish desirable.
- Must have the ability to prioritize workload and have flexibility as work demands change.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to effectively work with other staff members.
- Must be able to work independently and with structured deadlines as directed by supervisor.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be physically capable of planting, transplanting, herbiciding, moving pots, and pruning throughout the year.
Supervisor: This position will answer directly to the General Manager of Saunders Genetics.
Pay and Benefits: We offer a competitive salary,(commensurate with qualifications) health insurance, vacation package, short-term disability insurance, 401k package (eligible after 1 year of employment), and employee pricing on plants and farm market items. We also offer professional training and development opportunities for staff. This is a full-time, on-site, year-round position.
Drug Testing and Background Checks: Saunders Brothers is committed to providing a drug-free and safe workplace. Therefore, all employees are subject to random drug testing, reasonable suspicion testing, and post-accident testing. In addition, all new employees will be subject to a background check.
Start Date: As soon as filled.
Information and Application: Saunders Brothers’ nursery, orchard, and farm market are nestled on the sunny side of the Blue Ridge mountains in beautiful Nelson County, VA. Enjoy numerous opportunities for hiking, biking, fishing, and skiing. In-company perks include discounts at our retail Farm Market that include seasonal fruit from our orchards, family-raised meats, and wholesale pricing on plants grown on our farm.
Contact Mari Johnson at email@example.com. The job description may be seen at www.saundersbrothers.com and the application downloaded or completed from the website. Application must be submitted with resume to be considered.
Saunders Brothers Core Values
Faith– Our Core Values and business practices are directed by our Christian faith.
Integrity- Honesty and truthfulness are foundational to our business and we seek to do what is morally and ethically right.
Passion– We strive to enthusiastically share our love for Agriculture by connecting people with plants, fruit, and the farm.
Family– The Saunders Brothers’ Family includes and fosters many diverse families, generations, races, religions, and nationalities.
To make a profit doing something we love.
To have a positive impact on our employees, customers, suppliers, community, and environment.
To provide a productive, nurturing, and fulfilling environment for our team.
To be a premier supplier of superb-quality plant material for garden centers, landscapers, and public gardens throughout the Eastern United States.
To be a premier supplier of extraordinary fruit to the people of the Mid-Atlantic area.