Homestead Gardens boasts the East Coast's largest selection of high-quality annuals, perennials, trees and shrubs. We offer landscaping design and build service, outdoor lighting, garden accessories, casual furniture, gifts & decor, as well as being the number one family-owned retailer in Anne Arundel County.
If you're looking for a job with a company that has deep roots (Yep! We went there!) in the local community, the time to apply is now. Come work for a great team! We have fun, and we make a difference for our customers plant by plant, smile by smile!
Homestead Gardens has an immediate opportunity for an experienced retail manager responsible for managing the Garden Supply, Farm & Pet and Deco/Patio departments. The ideal candidate will maximize sales and maintain product all while working in a team environment alongside other departments. This position is responsible for:
- Ensuring excellent customer interactions and satisfaction, responding quickly to their needs in a friendly and personal manner.
- Managing and supervising daily operations of the departments and its staff.
- Preparation of work schedules.
- Participates in the company's On-the-Job Training program and mentoring and training staff.
- Implement company policies and procedures, maintain all safety policies, interpret company rules and regulations.
- Administer department payroll budget, working closely with the General Manager and CFO.
- Work closely with the Category Manager (Buyer) to develop and monitor department's sales and product margin management through mark downs and adjustments.
- Oversee the receiving of product and goods and directs the placement of the product working closely with the Category Manager/Buyer.
- Responsible for opening and closing the Retail Store as scheduled.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess excellent customer service and sales skills.
- Must possess knowledge in the product areas of garden supply, farm and pet, and patio/deco.
- Ability to effectively manage staff, including mentoring and guiding.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends during busy periods and to travel to industry-related events.
- Ability to work in a team environment as a leader and a member of the team.
- Good management and computer/technology skills.
- Ability to lift 30-50lbs consistently, stand for long periods of time, reach, bend, and stoop.
- Stay abreast of current trends in the industry by reading industry-related publications, visiting garden centers, and attending trade shows. Apply acquired knowledge to enhance the products sold in the department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree and/or minimum of three-five years equivalent work experience in a garden center environment preferred.