Position: Greenhouse and Nursery Manager
Organization: Appalachian Headwaters
Location: Lewisburg, West Virginia
Appalachian Headwaters is a nonprofit organization focused on restoration of native ecosystems and environmental education in central Appalachia. Headwaters started its native plant nursery in 2018 to grow native plants and seeds for its mined land restoration, environmental education, and pollinator gardens. Planting nursery stock from seed collected from central Appalachia will contribute to success of our projects. Our 100-acre park and environmental center west of Lewisburg has a greenhouse and shade house designed for plant production and hands-on education. The Greenhouse and Nursery Manager will help guide Headwaters’ native plant horticulture program, directing the plants we grow, how we care for them, and how we educate the public about their benefits. In addition, he/she/they will work directly with our experienced grounds crew and grounds crew manager.
The Greenhouse and Nursery Manager will be responsible for
- managing and expanding the plant production program utilizing a greenhouse and shade house
- Propagating and caring for both woody and herbaceous species
- planting and maintaining plants at educational and restoration sites
- working with nursery program staff,
- helping direct grounds maintenance and invasive species removal at Headwaters’ properties
- conducting some community education programs
- performing other duties that fit the staff’s talents and organizational needs
- A bachelors’ degree, master’s degree, or comparable experience in horticulture, agronomy, greenhouse management, or a related field;
- Experience running a greenhouse (required);
- At least two years’ experience in plant propagation and nursery production ;
- Knowledge of native plant horticulture;
- Compatibility with our program mission, including a dedication to environmental protection, organic plant growing and restoration of native ecosystems;
Compensation: Full time salaried position with excellent benefits including up to 10% retirement match and fully paid medical insurance.
Position will be based in Lewisburg, West Virginia
Organization websites: www.appheadwaters.org
Please submit a resume, references, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position open until filled.
Start date: ASAP