Responsible for growing, maintaining, and caring for woody ornamental nursery crops from the time it is potted until the time it ships. Provide training, leadership, and a safe work environment for assigned crew members.
Responsibilities in the assigned area:
- Check soil moisture and make decisions on irrigation settings
- Scout for pests and diseases
- Maintain scouting reports and submit findings to IPM personnel
- Coordinate with the Weed Control Manager about herbicide needs
- Check fertility using the pour-through method and maintain records
- Make fertilizing decisions and submit requests for liquid feed to irrigation coordinator
- Inventory counts and corrections
- Regularly review inventory reports and coordinate with the Inventory Controller and sales team when inventory is ready for market or when a ready status should be changed
- Share pictures and promote plant material to sales staff and sales yards
- Assign tasks to the area assistant(s) and inspect work completed
- Request additional labor when large tasks need to be completed
- Assist pulling crew with plants in your assigned area
- Maintain growing records of all aspects of production including potting dates, spacing, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, herbicide, diseases, pests, spray applications, winter protection, and crop turns
- Submit plans and budgets for trials of growing methods and upon approval carry out that trial as planned and report the findings
- Submit a monthly report of upcoming, planned work for the production meetings
- Submit requests with estimated costs for maintenance and repairs such as weed fabric, gravel for roadways, greenhouse materials, and irrigation
- Maintain assigned equipment and tools including pruners, electronic meters, vehicles, tractors, computer or tablet, etc.
- Train and supervise assigned personnel in all equipment operation necessary to perform tasks
- Train and supervise assigned personnel in plant production, pruning, spacing, and overall maintenance of plant material in your area.
· Associate degree or equivalent preferred from a college or technical school and two years related experience as a grower
· Basic understanding of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of nursery maintenance (planting, weed identification and control, cultural requirements of herbaceous and woody plants and plant identification knowledge)
· Experience with most horticultural tools and machinery is required.
Compensation: Based on education, experience, knowledge, and references
If you are interested:
Please send current resume, cover letter and salary requirement to:
Ann Montague, HR Manager