Scottsdale's Horticulture intern program is open to all students who have demonstrated knowledge and interest in horticulture, who are willing to advance their knowledge through practical hands-on experience. Scottsdale seeks reliable and hardworking candidates who thrive in a team setting and are capable of completing individual tasks as assigned. We're looking for individuals who have excellent communication skills, are committed to being present and punctual on workdays, and have the ability to perform diverse tasks that can be physically demanding. The successful candidate must be comfortable interacting with guests and staff. They must be enthusiastic about plants, conscientious of the environment, and be willing to participate in all horticulture practices.
Scottsdale Farms Horticulture Internship provides both a solid education in the fundamentals of horticulture and practical work experience in preparation for a career in the field. We aim to offer the following objectives:
- Provides valuable skills, education, and experience that will help interns in their future professional endeavors
- Create responsible environmental stewards and advocates for education
- Learn fundamentals of sustainable agriculture including crop choice, rotational growing, drip irrigation, and pest/disease management
- Understand and maintain healthy soils, learn to use compost, cover crops, and mulch
- Offer a monthly two-way evaluation in which Scottsdale Farms evaluates your performance, reviews your goals, and solicits feedback on your experience
- Management Training--covering topics such as team-building, personal goal development, business development, interview, and presentation skills
What You'll Do:
Horticulture interns will work in all areas of the gardens and participate in a wide range of horticultural experiences. The intern will experience hands-on growing techniques, cultural practices used to control diseases and will be aware of how all environmental factors outside still affect general production of greenhouse crops.
Beyond the primary focus of providing a beautiful garden experience for every guest, this internship wil present the intern with many opportunities to broaden their experience within the horticulture field and to learn about different careers in Public Horticulture.
Every intern will receive training in basic gardening techniques and horticultural topics including:
- Plant identification
- Weed management
- Mulch types and application methods
- Understanding seasonal impacts on horticulture
- Irrigation, fertilization, and other plant care techniques
- Factors that affect plant placement
In addition to gaining specialized knowledge appropriate to his/her area of focus, ech intern will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about career opportunities in horticulture
- Learn about the resources and operations of a garden center and the mission of Scottsdale Farms
- Experience teamwork, cooperation, and responsibility
While performing the responsibilities of the horticultural internship, the following characteristics are representative of the outdoor and conservatory environment the intern will encounter: high humidity, intense sunlight, heat, cold, wind, precipitation, and uneven surfaces. Interns should also be in good, physical condition and able to lift 40lbs.
If you are interested in joining the Scottsdale Farms team as a Horticulture intern, please email resume to Michelle Jones at MichelleJ@ScottsdaleFarms.com.