Assistant Extension Educator – Fruit Production and Integrated Pest Management
The Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture (PSLA) in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) at the University of Connecticut (UConn) invites applications for an Assistant Extension Educator in Fruit Production and Integrated Pest Management. This is a full-time 11-month faculty position with 70% Extension and 30% teaching. PSLA is one of nine academic units within CAHNR. Our 21 faculty (15 tenure-track faculty and 6 non-tenure track professionals with FTE distribution of 7.4 teaching, 7.1 research, 5.8 extension, and 0.7 administrative) and 12 member support staff comprise a collegial team devoted to excellence in research, teaching, and extension. PSLA is a program that proudly serves the needs of Connecticut through graduate and undergraduate education, outstanding public-outreach programs associated with formal extension and engaged scholarship, and nationally competitive research programs.
A primary responsibility is to develop, conduct, and evaluate educational programs for commercial fruit producers statewide. The faculty member will use the latest research-based information for Extension outreach to support commercial fruit production including pest management in tree fruits, small fruits, and vine crops. The faculty member will work collaboratively with the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Team, and teams of extension educators, specialists and others to plan, implement, and evaluate programs statewide. The faculty member is expected to secure extramural funding and develop a diverse portfolio of educational materials for Extension clients and scholarly materials for professional peers. The candidate will teach a baccalaureate and associate degree program course on fruit production every year and develop an additional course in consultation with PSLA faculty to meet the needs of the Department to be taught every other year. To fulfill the extension mission, the faculty member will develop educational materials that reflect state-of-the-science information and technology to be shared with producers and other industry groups. We are seeking a collaborative educator able to cultivate strong relationships with industry practitioners to augment the impact of their extension and teaching efforts. Preference will be given to those who have experience working with first-generation and underrepresented groups. The position is fully-funded for the first three years. Thereafter, the selected candidate would need to maintain 25% self-funding through grants. This is a non-tenure track position renewed annually. The anticipated start date is January 6, 2023.
CAHNR has developed and implemented a Strategic Vision to guide the development and focus of our teaching, research and Extension programs in the years 2020-2025. Faculty hired for this position will be expected to make significant contributions in their area of expertise, contributing to the advancement of one or more of the CAHNR’s five strategic priorities.
- Ensuring a vibrant agricultural industry and sustainable food supply;
- Enhancing health and well-being locally, nationally and globally;
- Fostering sustainable landscapes across urban-rural interfaces;
- Advancing resilience and adaptation in a changing climate; and
- Dismantling structural racism and fostering environments that advance racial equity, inclusion, and belonging by advocating for anti-racist policies, practices, and norms.
The CAHNR Strategic Vision (https://cahnr.uconn.edu/visionandvalues/) provides additional information on the strategic initiatives and their related areas of emphasis.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
- Earned Master’s degree in pomology, horticulture, entomology, plant pathology, weed science, integrated pest management, viticulture, olericulture, plant health, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in fruit production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering Extension outreach programs and writing publications.
- Experience in conducting applied research and/or farm demonstration plots.
- Experience in pest/disease diagnostics and implementation of IPM tactics.
- Excellent skills in leadership, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal relations.
- Excellent skills in writing grant proposals.
- Earned Ph.D. in pomology, horticulture, entomology, plant pathology, weed science, integrated pest management, viticulture, olericulture, plant health, or a related field.
- Experience securing external funding from grant agencies or private industry.
- Experience teaching undergraduate courses.
- Experience leading large multidisciplinary grant-funded projects.
- Experience in impact evaluation of Extension programs.
This is a full-time, 11-month renewable, non-tenure track faculty position. Partial funding (75%) is provided, while the remaining 25% will be grant supported. In the first three years, 25% support will be provided by a USDA-NIFA Integrated Pest Management grant awarded to UConn (USDA-NIFA #CONS2021-05166). After the first three years, this position will continue as a 75% hard-funded position and the incumbent will be expected to obtain self-secured grant funding to support the remaining 25%, which could include a new USDA-NIFA IPM grant and/or other sources. This position is subject to annual renewal based on performance and on the successful candidate’s ability to secure grant funding. The anticipated start date is January 6, 2023. Information on benefits can be found at: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22322 and submit the following application materials:
- Letter of interest that addresses how the applicant meets the minimum and preferred qualifications, why the applicant is the best fit for the position, and how your work at UConn will contribute to one or more of CAHNR's strategic priorities
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching statement, 1 to 2 pages maximum (including teaching philosophy, teaching experience, commitment to effective learning, etc.)
- Extension statement, 1 to 2 pages maximum (including approaches to developing an effective program and assessing program impacts)
- Diversity statement, 1 to 2 pages maximum (including broadening participation, integrating multicultural experiences in instruction and extension, and applying effective pedagogical techniques to meet the needs of diverse learning styles)
- Names and contact information for three references
Evaluation of applicants will begin September 10, 2022, and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. For more information regarding the Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture please visit the department website at https://psla.uconn.edu. Questions about this position or the application process can be directed to Dr. Mark Brand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.